Thursday, February 15, 2007

Impatient for "Normal"

I know that Nathan and I left Minnesota seeking new experiences, breaking out of our "ruts", yearning for learning....but strangely I find myself impatient to reach normal again. I am impatient for our house to be "set-up," our paper-work finished, and our social and work networks in place. It's been just over a month, with a huge portion of that time dedicated to our to-do list and work. It took 3 years to complete the Visa paperwork, and 1 year to get our house etc in order to leave, why should 1 month be sufficient to get it all up and running again?

When I moved to London, Nathan had already been there for a year. He had friends, a bank account, knowledge of the city, school sorted out, essential paperwork done. When I arrived, he had already found a furnished place to stay and all we had to do was move in. We had Nathan's friends, but I was still lonely for my own the first few months. By November, I was working and had a social network of my own.

It seems harder this time, because it is. This time we are both starting from scratch. No furnished apartment. Everything is new--for both of us. So both of us are going through the emotional ups and downs at the same time (instead of a year apart).

Maybe because its our second time, I expected this move would be easier. The to-do list is harder, but the cultural adjustment is easier. I am embracing new language, friends, experiences much more readily than before. We are already travelling to new places (we've seen more than some residents who have already been here 1 year) and are talking to hockey, band, and church groups to develop our community connections.

I know that in 3 months, we'll be less worried about the "have-to-do" list (like health insurance, taxes, internet connection etc) and more focused on the "get-to-do" list (snorkelling, bushwalking, travelling) but I am impatient. We've been waiting for this for years, I'm ready to get to the fun stuff and stop working so hard!

Who knew that after a search for adventure that would take us half way around the world, I would be craving my rut?--Kristin

3 comments:

Jaymi said...

let me know what normal feels like.. I long for the day...

Elwood said...

Normal is overrated anyway...

Change is good.

Mary Ann and Al said...

From one island inhabitant to another,
Doesn't matter how big or small the island is, it is busy and you long for the quiet times. We leave for a week in Sitka on Tuesday and it will be wonderful. Think of the two of you often.
MA and Al