Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The End-of-Playoff Beard


So it's finally over. Not the democratic nomination, although there is some relief that the D's have finally stopped attacking each other and emptying the coffers in friendly fire. No, I'm talking about something much more important.
The NHL Playoffs.
While it may seem to some that these playoffs last nearly an entire election cycle, it's all too brief for me. Why, I hardly had time to get up to Chewbacca stage in the playoff beard growth, while in my heart of hearts I would like to get to ZZ top. And it doesn't look like Kris has even been trying!
With the dusting off of the razor, we acknowledge the much more experienced Red Wings for their dominance, and try not to be too condescending to the penguins by saying, nice try, maybe when you boys are a little older...
I confess that there is another reason for shaving. This is much more vain.
I didn't mind too much when it was pointed out that this year, at 35, I would be in a different demographic -- still pretty young. I even managed a chuckle when the hairdresser laughed at my scalp, saying "it just gets thinner and thinner." Why, I'm actually proud of the grey in my hair.
But not my beard.
When Kris reached over and was playing with a white hair in my beard, I knew that the days of Grizzly Mannix were numbered. It's not that it looks old, just...well, maybe a little old. A little untidy. It just doesn't reflect the way I think I look, which is about 25.
I know the feeling young won't last, but for just a little while longer, let me think that I'm more like the Pittsburgh Penguins, and a little less experienced than the Red Wings.

8 comments:

Aqua Chiffon said...

*sigh* We really believed in our boys this year (this is what I'm told). It doesn't help that I have a grudge against the Red Wings dating back to college. Hrmph.

I can't believe how thick your beard got. You look like a scruffy Motel.

cj_atc said...

I lost the playoff beard as soon as the Caps were eliminated, which seems like ages ago now. It was nice to see Ovechkin continue to fill up his trophy case last night by adding the Pearson and Hart trophies. Coach Bruce Boudreau also won the Adams.

Loved the stories and pictures from your road trip. Can't wait to see more from future trips and dives.

Elwood said...

Is the weight of the bushiness pulling your mustache in half?

I didn't have a playoff beard going...I'll save my ritual non-shaving activity for October. Razors are weapons, and I'll do my part for international security by not packing one.

cj_atc said...

That's the new contra-hitler mustache...all the cool kids in Australia are doing it.

Kristin said...

It did get pretty voluminous -- might have been all of that mascara to make it look fuller.

Incidentally, Ovechkin also added a World Championship to his trophy case, which he would not have been able to do if the Caps had gone to the finals. I bet he has mixed feelings about that...

cj_atc said...

Yea...the Russian team was quite the Caps-fan favorite. All 4 of the Caps from Russia were playing on the team (3 of them on the same line). But I agree with you that Ovie and all of Cap-Nation would have liked Lord Stanley's Cup better.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nathan,

This is Thursday 7-24-08. It is 4:40 our time. You stopped by my office today but I was out of town.

Sorry I missed you.

I hope to talk to you soon.

SLB

Anonymous said...

I am going to try to post this one last time.

SLB