Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hail to the Chief (Elect)

Ahhh...what a feeling, what a relief.
Of course you know to what I am referring.
It's that sense that, when somebody asks me where I'm from (and this happens roughly a billion times daily), I don't have to be embarrased by saying that I'm American.
Until recently, it was okay to say that I was Alaskan -- but since Palin came on the scene, Alaska has been viewed less as a groovy frontier kind of place, and more as the home of overreaching whackjobs who abuse their authority. That isn't my opinion of course, I'm just repeating what the rest of the world is saying. I still quite like Alaska, think of it as my home, and have great memories of playing hockey in Wasilla against a team that was, mercifully, Palin-free. As far as I know.
I had the day off, more by luck than design, but it was good timing. I drove out to Kris' office, we shared a glass of champagne with her boss John and our friend Phil, and listened to the victory speech. It was a speech so well-crafted that Kris was moved, just for a moment, to go back into political rhetoric. It was enough to bring tears to my eyes. As (president elect) Barack said, speaking to us directly, I am sure, "all those watching tonight from beyond our shores...those who are huddled around radios in forgotten corners of the world..." Now, I wouldn't exactly call Perth a forgotten corner of the world...okay, maybe I've called it that once or twice, but I didn't know that it would show up in (president elect) Barack's speech!

Anyway, this was just to let you all know that we haven't abandoned the blog, we've just been pretty busy. More soon about October (Todd and Steph and our trip down south), as well as November (Nanowrimo, Movember, Triathlons, and more!).

2 comments:

Elwood said...

See...now you can come home, and we don't have to move to Europe!

Whoo-Hoo!

Mary Ann and Al said...

I was moved by Oboma's speech also. I believe we saw history in the making election night. I don't think David Letterman will have material for his "Great Presidential Speeches" any more. I'm not a happy Democrat in Alaska though. Steven's race is still too close to call, but I think they re-elected Don Young. It was good to hear from you.
Mary Ann and AL