Thursday, January 8, 2009

Bachelorhood Revisited

So Kris left yesterday for a long visit with her folks, leaving behind a pile of dishes, a long honey-do list, and me. You know what that means, other than a month of living on peanut butter sandwiches and light beer? I should have more time to devote to cultural pursuits, such as watching Don't Forget The Lyrics. (Yes, it airs in Australia. They are having a hard time finding meaningful programming to fill all 4 channels here, so they import shows from the US.) Anyway, the part that really slays me is at the end, where Wayne Brady points at the screen and says that somebody could come on stage and win a million dollars and, gesturing into my living room, "it may even be you."

Well.

Clearly we have never met. He must be talking to my three-legged, neutered, toothless cat, because my chances of winning a million on that show are not as good as Jake's. I could conceivably win a million on Never Knew The Lyrics And Really Never Cared, and I may take home a few bucks on the new show, Just Make Up The Lyrics And Sing Them Confidently So People Think They're The Real Lyrics. But really, that's not much of a retirement plan.

No, I think the real path to fame (if not fortune), is to do something unbelievably clever for YouTube, like ObamaGirl, or the guy who explains the news (sometimes in song) to kids. Yup, that's it. And now I've got the time to devote to it, with Kris out of town. At least, if there's not anything better on after SVU...

5 comments:

Elwood said...

Uh-oh. How long is she gone for?

(I hope everything's okay with her folks.)

Email me!

Nathan said...

I know you'd kick ass -- which is why I don't have to. I'm not even much help as a phone-a-friend on the obscure italian opera from the 17th century lyrics.
But if you do go on, and then win a million, I'd DEFINITELY watch that episode.

Anonymous said...

I don't envy you abit. My wife, Karel was gone a few days, once during the course of our 30 year marriage and my daughter had to come to visit, to babysit me. :)

Aqua Chiffon said...

I was shocked over break when we went karaokeing with my brother's friends. They knew every word to every song (okay, duh, they're on the screen, but you still have to know them ahead of time - especially when most of the songs were Beastie Boys). I'm definitely a "this sounds close enough" or "insert random syllables here" lyrics person.

A couple years ago I got Eric one of those "fractured lyrics" daily calendars. It was hilarious. In addition to the well known "Hold me closer, Tony Danza" type ones, my favorite was "I got my first real sex change" as the opening line to "Summer of '69."

I would love to see the guy who explains the news to kids. You could sing explanations of odd animal behavior like "Your puppy likes to chew on the ceramic bolt covers on your toilet because..."

Unknown said...

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee221/sexymel91/videos/?action=view&current=SNL-EddieMurphy-BuckwheatsGreatestH.flv

one of my favorites.

It's been a while since I posted, but I do read up on ya's regularly. Good to see that you're still getting out and doin fun stuff.

here's what i've been up to:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/X-factor-quartet/32797549272

there're some videos to check out.

toodles!

fetz