Sunday, October 11, 2009

Nathan Vs. The Papaya Salad

...so in keeping with the last few posts, this was going to be titled, "Nathan Vs. His Groin" but thought that would get some disappointed web surfers.
You see, we're in Thailand, and while there are many reasons to be writing about your groin in Thailand, it is not usually because of muscle tears. We had booked this great trip, with a stay on the unfortunately transliterated Phi Phi island (pee pee island). Pause for snickering, because I don't care how old you are, it's kind of funny. Phi Phi island has many things going for it, including great water for diving and some warm water corals, and some things which are not in the favourable column, such as having been the set for the Leonardo DiCaprio movie The Beach and a tendency to attract tsunamis. But most of these things require one to be of sound body.
So, back to my groin. Adding another reason to Kris' list of reasons that I should not be playing goalie in hockey (expensive equipment, my inflexibility, the bad influence of the other players) is injuries. Not just bruising now, but tearing two muscles in one maladroit maneuver. And this just days before leaving town to go for what was, at least ostensibly, a dive holiday.
Unable to put on my own socks (God bless the Aussie love of flip flops), we were able to rule out a wetsuit, and so we sought out other pursuits. Chief amongst these is gastrotourism.
I'm sure that there is another word for it. Epicurism? Tourphages? I think i'll stick with gastrotourism for now, and it's a nice way to travel.
Green curry? Tried it. Panang curry with coconut sauce? Tried it. What's that fish - oh never mind, can you grill it up and bring it over? Great! Do you mind bringing a large beer, also? Thanks.
Now I know what you're thinking - you're concerned about the chilli factor. It hasn't been a problem so far, and is easily avoided if you want to. But every now and then, just occasionally, one will sneak up on you. Papaya salad? How spicy can that be?
Let me tell you - 660 ml of Chiang beer later, coconut curry prawn, an ear of corn from the sreet vendor, and my lips are still tingling. But it's a good kind of burn.
And it's taken my mind off of my groin.

1 comment: