Saturday, March 29, 2008

pop quiz




Quick quiz:

What do these things have in common?
Seahorses
Cuttlefish (X2)
Sand dollars
Scorpion Fish
Sea Stars (on the move!)
Nudibranchs (no, that's not dirty, it's the orange thing in the picture.)
Eels
An octopus eating a crab

Give up?

That's what we got to see tonight when we went on a night dive with Gaylene and Colin!
It was a big step. We haven't been diving long, and going at night always seems a little creepy, but it turned out to be exceptionally cool! It was very relaxed, and the folks here had created a sort of artificial reef where all sorts of cool marine life hung out in what would otherwise be classified as industrial waste -- discarded tires, anchor chains, and submerged buoys.

By the way, if you want to see some of the most bizarre of australian behaviour, I would encourage you to visit this link. There is a photo gallery, but words escape me as I try to describe it. I think we have found our next big hobby...

http://www.diveoz.com.au/aeui



Finally, and completely unrelated, some of you may have noticed that my good friend commented on the last post under the name Elwood, claiming that the Wild (NHL team, minnesota wild) are, "way down there." He has commited the most vile slander. To set the record straight, the Wild are currently in the first place in their division, sitting at 3rd seed in the western conference. I know that there many ways for that to change, but I couldn't just sit back and let such villainy go uncorrected.

Elwood then raised the question, will the Ducks repeat?

No, sorry, this is not the Ducks' year. I think it will be (and I'm going out on a limb here a little), a final between the Devils and the Sharks, with San Jose winning.

There. That should lower the tone of the blog a little, and I'll try to keep the NHL out of things for a while, although with the playoffs starting so soon, we'll just have to see.

4 comments:

Nikki P said...

From a Devils fan I can honestly say we won't get to the finals not with the way we are currently playing but I would love it if we did :oD

Elwood said...

The Wild have improved, then. When I left my last comment, they were 7th in the division. So either they went on a run, or other teams got worse.

I'll root for the Wild no matter what anyway...having no NHL franchise here in Seattle, I'm pretty much a free-agent fan.

cj_atc said...

So Nathan, a funny thing happened when I moved to DC. I became a hockey fan. Who knew that a kid who grew up in Alaska and NEVER ice skated would finally see the light. Amy and I have a share of season tickets (front row, upper deck, middle of the Caps offensive zone in the 1st and 3rd periods). We have been to 12 or 13 games in each of the last two seasons.

The Caps are not out of it. We have won 8 of the last 9 games. We have the Hart Trophy frontrunner (if Ovechkin doesn't win, it will by a travesty!). We are currently 2 points behind both Boston for the 8th seed and Carolina for the Division/3rd seed. Big game in terms of us getting into Festivus (can't say the "P" word).

Big game Tuesday night against Carolina at Verizon Center. Amy and I will be there for that game as well as the last regular season game next Saturday.

We made a point to see the Wild when they came to town this season. I wanted to see Gaborik in person...He's awesome. Also thought it was great to see two Nicklas Backstrom's on the ice. Ours is a 20 year old Calder trophy candidate; yours is a 30 year old netminder. Caps won 4-1.

Lets go Caps!

Loren said...

Well my sons seem to be hockey fans. Me I enjoyed your diving quiz. Went today (3/31/08) and water temp was 38. COLD!!!! Lots of baby shrimp, hermit crabs, star fish and sunflower stars and two baby king crabs. Different from Australia I am sure. Hope your water is warmer than Alaska but diving with dry suit makes up for it most of the time - today was cold on the hands. Learn lots about the area as we will be there to dive some day - hopefully when you are still there.

Keep up the comments on diving.

Next May a group from Juneau are going to Chuuk and spend a week on dive boat diving on all the Japanese ships sunk during a two day battle during WWII. (http://www.destmic.com/chuuk.html) I think we are on the Odyssey.

Looking forward to that trip.