Monday, August 18, 2008

so much for life as usual....

I'm never going on vacation again.

Last year, I went for a week of training in Melbourne. When I came back, my boss Maryanne had resigned. I had 3 weeks before she left to prepare.

I agreed to step into her role, and was just getting these hang of it when we went back to the US to visit family in July. While I was away, the administrative officer submitted her resignation, I came back to find she had one week left of her notice before I was alone, managing 2 jobs, with 4 months of experience in the organisation.

This is hell for several months while we work through the hiring process.
I hire my assistant Annie--she comes into chaos, and we work together to set up new processes, transfer 2 databases, and life resumes to a somewhat even keel for the next 8 months.

When we went on vacation in May to Exmouth, I return to find my colleague, Andy, who I worked with very closely had resigned and would be gone in 2 weeks. They arrange an interim, to keep things afloat, but begin the long hiring process.

So, when I come back from vacation, and there are no big announcements, I relaxed. Finally, things are going to plan. Annie and I are working well as a team--I only had 3 pages of handover notes for her...which is a miracle. Within a week, we were back to caught up.

But....(da, da, dum--sinister music)

This week, on Wednesday, Annie asks me to sit down.
"I've got some news...(da,da dum.....more sinister music).
Diana, the Dean's PA is leaving, and I've gotten the job as his new PA." I stumble through some words of congratulations, and after the initial shock, begin to regain confidence. We've set up processes, Annie will have time to train someone etc.

I go into to meet with the Dean, who somewhat sheepishly, fills me in on the details. His PA Diana will be moving to work with the faculty dean (next admin level up)...he found this out a month ago. Before I left they started doing interviews. The decision was made this week. He told Annie 5 minutes before she told me. then...

Da, da, dum......

"She'll be taking Diana's role on Monday!"

(gulp) back to panic.

"Don't worry, I've found a temp. They'll be here on Monday, we are already starting the recruiting process."

Don't panic, don't panic, don't panic.

So much for life as usual....

2 comments:

Elwood said...

You can get your revenge by resigning when they go on vacation. Turnabout's fair play, right?

cj_atc said...

Also be thankful you didn't get fired while on vacation...that really would have sucked.