Tuesday, September 2, 2008

12 years--who's counting?

It's pretty amazing...Nathan and I have been married for 12 years.
We've been together for 17 years (Prior to dating me, Nathan's previous longest relationship was 6 weeks, I think).
We are on the cusp of having been together longer than we've not been together. (If you count all those years I was definitely more interested in fighting boys than dating them, we are well past that mark).

Sometimes it still feels like we are honey-mooning. Suddenly, I'll be seized with the incredible urge to hold hands, sing romantic ballads, write love letters. Maybe it has to do with moving countries every 5 years or not having kids, but it seems like our relationship together is still very new. I'm still discovering things about him that I never knew or never would have even guessed.

Othertimes, we know each other so well that we finish each other's thoughts, can tell the cards in our partner's hand and how they'll be played, and tell our jokes in unison. That can mean we know EXACTLY how to to press the other person's buttons too, but we always work hard to fight fair, and find a way to avoid a disagreement next time. We know each other so well that we know matter how difficult a time or situation, we'll get through it together.

It's amazing that after all this time we not only still love each other, we are still in love with each other. I think its because I've married an incredibly intelligent, considerate, romantic, funny, ethical, sexy, loyal, interesting, caring, and basically GOOD person. I know I'm lucky that I found someone so supportive, patient, fun-loving and adventurous, and he chose to be part of my life.

About every 5 years or so, we we get remarried. I guess because in some small way I can't believe Nathan has chosen me for his soulmate, and I want to know he'd chose me again. So, we stand together and say our vows. You are my life, you are my love. To have, hold and cherish from this day forward.

The ceremony is just a symbol of the commitment that shines through in every generous act, every time I'm forgiven for my faults, every lawn mowed or dish washed, every good night kiss.
So ceremony or not, I just want to say.

Nathan, I do. I STILL do.

I love you. Kristin

2 comments:

Elwood said...

Aw...you crazy kids.

Happy Anniversary!

Nikki P said...

Sorry it's late but happy belated anniversary. Gethin and I are catching you guys up slowly only 6 years to go :o)