Saturday, January 13, 2007

First Week at Work, Murdoch University--Kristin

I started my first week at work at Murdoch University Veterinary Trust. Although the people I work with are amazing, (interesting, dedicated, friendly) I am a little daunted by the size of my task. The Vet Trust has some big plans (major improvements) and I can barely get my head around it all. It's not just learning a new job, its learning a new education system (how things are funded, what students pay) and new cultural attitudes about money and giving. I am sure it will sink in, but I come home every night with reading...my head full of questions.

Nathan's main job this past week has been finding us a place to live. AND he has succeeded--even though it is a really daunting task. Perth has less than 2% rental vacancies at the moment, and an odd system for renting. There is no central clearing house of rentals (each real estate agent handles each house seperately in each suburb). So if you are searching for rentals in 3 suburbs you need to visit 3-4 real estate agents in each suburb to find what is available. It's listed on-line in one place, but lots of the properties there go to fast (by the time you search on it its gone). But 10 minutes ago, we got a call that we have been approved as renters of a lovely 3 bed 1 bath unfurnished home in a suburb only about 1 mile from the beach, and 10 miles from my work. We had planned to find a furnished apartment but they are rare and it almost doubled the price of our rental. The hardest part is that the landlords consider anything not bolted in furniture (including the fridge and the washing machine)...so now that one decision is made we will face a multitude of others as we search want ads and stores for furnishings.

Most of you realize that Nathan and I usually dread making these sorts of purchasing decisions. Its a sign of our determination to get settled here (and Nathan's hard work) that we are making progress. But I am really looking forward to February when we can relax after work. A house means internet at home and better comms with everyone--that I am also looking forward to!

3 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

Aren't you glad your landlord was persistent in tracking down your references? Things are falling into place and at a rapid pace...it seems that way from our end anyway.

The rewards will be that much dearer if your job is a challenge,Kris

Love you
Mom

Unknown said...

Yes things do seem to be falling into place. One month of set up will look like nothing later on! If you weren't both so talented you wouldn't be facing these steep learning curves. Good you like to run - I hear it helps keeping things in perspective!! Love you - Other mom

Mary Ann and Al said...

We are so glad you made it safely and that you have found a place to live. Not like Petersburg, where we found a clean, furnished with furniture and food, house. Have fun!! We love you,
Mary Ann and Al