Monday, December 3, 2007

Summer's arrived!


On Friday 30 November, the Vet School celebrated Registration Day. Registration Day is the day students recieve their marks from the Veterinary Surgeon's Board, and if suitably high, they become registered as veterinarians. Its far more important than graduation day which is the school's official recognition of their degree, because this literally says Australia gives them license to work as vets.

The ceremony was simple. Students meet with the Surgeon's Board. If approved, they pick up a pack from our alumni officer saying "Congratulations your a Vet!!!", then a 45 min ceremony with a brief address, and awards for top marks in the class. Then back down to the Vet School for the traditional celebration luncheon--snaggas (sausages) and champagne! It's a pretty busy time for the admin staff (I'm touring with parents, getting prizes ready, hosting VIPs, and helping to get materials ready), but some of us celebrated by attending the graduation dinner (a black tie event to meet more parents, say goodbye to the students that we are close to, and celebrate the end of a stress-filled week).

Registration day also marks the unofficial start of summer at Murdoch. Suddenly, we all expect to get caught up with the things we've been putting off. People start working regular work weeks--instead of all the overtime. With almost 6 months of being short staffed, my backlog is longer than I'd like but with 3 weeks til the long break I'm hopeful I'll get it done. We prepare for a long holiday break--the University closes from 21 December until 2 January. (I hope I'll be able to stay away!)

Sitting on our back porch, it seems like summer has arrived overnight. The weather today is beautiful, a golden sunset but still cool. You'll never hear me say this--but it would be a perfect night for a run along the beach (actually its easy to say it, hard to do it. I sprained my knee a few weeks ago in hockey practice, so I know I can't possibly follow through).

Suddenly, our lemon tree is overburdened with ripe lemons, we can't make lemonade fast enough to use them all. The figs are coming in, but aren't quite ready yet. That doesn't stop the lorakeets that have moved into our backyard and are making raucous noises getting fat on our figs. At dusk, the kookaburras start up, with their laughing call (sort of a musical cross between monkeys and loons). If we walked down to the lake, we'd hear the frogs making their alien love calls. (they have a frog here called the moaning frog...its freaky).

I've been working too much the last few months, and am determined to relax and enjoy this place. I'm starting now...anyone for lemonade?

3 comments:

JBell said...

Hello Mannix peoples!

Googled you to find an address for my holiday card and what do I find but a whole blog! What a grand time I have had catching up with all your adventures Down Under. Could you send me your physical address for those time when I don't procrastinate until the last minute to send out warm & fuzzies!?

lots of love,
Jess, Ellis, Sam & Ike

Kristin said...

Jess & Ellis--Great to hear from you,can you send your email address and I'll give you our new address?

Kristin

JBell said...

Hello Peeps!

jbell6@vcu.edu