Sunday, July 26, 2009

Interesting marketing strategy


(Okay, I've been waiting for Nathan to regale you with the horrors of his flight to California, but its just too painful. I think he's repressing the memories.)

In the meantime, I saw this in the local advertiser and was fascinated. It brought me back to my days in grad school with Karlyn Kohrs Campbell, a nationally know feminist critic from University of MN. GST is a little different from sales tax in the US, because just about EVERYTHING has GST but it really got me thinking.

It made me want to research and write an outraged article. But remembering very little of my rhetorical criticism pedagogy, I just thought I would raise these 3 questions.

1) Can you think of a similar product that every guy has to use for both health purposes and social acceptability? Do you think it would be taxed?


2) What sort of marketing campaign is this? It was on the back page, full colour spread of the advertising leaflet. What emotion are they tapping into...........resentment? that never makes me like the airlines!


3) Do you think this would work in the US?



Love to hear what you think! Now, let me just find that textbook.

4 comments:

Elwood said...

Wow...outside of toothpaste, deodorant, or adult diapers (all unisex products anyway) I can't think of any day-to-day products that would go after the Male Market like that.

Kristin said...

I couldn't think of anything. Nathan's thought was condoms.....I had to tell him that he could probably go to work without one.

JackH said...

Kris

If guys had periods, all sanitary products would be free, thats for damn sure.

And they would take a week off every month.

And if we got pregnant - you'd never hear the last of it.

Jack (your buddy in the UK)

JackH said...

Kris

If guys had periods, all sanitary products would be free, thats for damn sure.

And they would take a week off every month.

And if we got pregnant - you'd never hear the last of it.

Jack (your buddy in the UK)